Best Beaches in New Jersey: Looking to hit the sun, sand, and surf with a little bit of East Coast flair? Look no further than the best beaches in New Jersey. Whether you’re looking for family-friendly fun, a romantic couples’ getaway, or solo beachcombing at its finest, there’s something for everyone on these sandy shores. From the iconic boardwalks of Atlantic City to the hidden gems tucked away in Cape May County, each stretch of coastline has its own personality and charm. The only thing more diverse than NJ’s beaches themselves is their visitors – from locals who grew up spending summers by the sea to curious tourists seeking out new adventures and picturesque Instagram opportunities. So pack your sunscreen, grab some shades, and get ready to discover what makes our state one of America’s top beach destinations!
Best Beaches in New Jersey
New Jersey is known for its beautiful beaches along the Jersey Shore. Here are some of the best beaches to visit in New Jersey:
- Cape May Beach: This is a popular family-friendly beach with a long stretch of white sand and crystal-clear water. It’s perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and beach games.
- Ocean City Beach: This is another family-friendly beach that is great for swimming and sunbathing. It’s known for its clean sand and clear water.
- Wildwood Beach: This beach is famous for its boardwalk and amusement park. It’s a great place to visit with kids and enjoy the rides, games, and attractions.
- Sandy Hook Beach: This is a beautiful beach located in a national park. It’s known for its natural beauty, clear water, and great surf.
- Island Beach State Park: This is a secluded beach that is perfect for nature lovers. It’s known for its wildlife, sand dunes, and pristine beaches.
- Point Pleasant Beach: This is a popular beach with a boardwalk, amusement park, and many restaurants and shops. It’s a great place to spend a day with family and friends.
- Sea Girt Beach: This is a quiet beach that is great for swimming and sunbathing. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy the beauty of the ocean.
- Belmar Beach: This is a popular beach for surfers and beachgoers. It’s known for its great waves and beautiful scenery.
- Long Beach Island: This is a beautiful island with many beaches to choose from. It’s a great place to visit for a weekend getaway.
- Asbury Park Beach: This is a popular beach that is known for its boardwalk, live music, and great restaurants. It’s a great place to visit for a fun day at the beach.
If you haven’t yet experienced the magic of a New Jersey beach day, then stop what you’re doing and check out the Best Beaches in New Jersey list immediately! The Garden State may be small in size, but it’s mighty when it comes to its stunning coastline. From Cape May to Sandy Hook, every inch of sand beckons you with its sparkling waters and kitschy boardwalk vibes. Sure, we have some fierce competition down in Florida or California, but who needs palm trees when you can have thrill rides and funnel cake? Whether you’re a sun worshiper or adventurous surfer dude (or dudette), there’s a shore spot for everyone here. So pack up your cooler and sunscreen – this is one bucket-list item that should not be missed!
1. Cape May Beach
Cape May Beach is a popular beach destination located at the southernmost tip of New Jersey. It features miles of pristine coastline with soft, white sand and beautiful turquoise waters. The beach is known for its Victorian architecture, including the historic Cape May lighthouse, which provides a stunning backdrop for beachgoers.
In addition to sunbathing and swimming, Cape May Beach offers a variety of activities such as surfing, kayaking, and fishing. There are also plenty of amenities available for visitors, including restrooms, showers, and beach rentals.
Cape May Beach is a great destination for families and couples looking for a relaxing beach vacation with plenty of things to do and see. The beach is typically less crowded than other popular New Jersey beaches, making it a great spot for those seeking a quieter and more peaceful getaway.
2. Ocean City Beach
Ocean City Beach is another popular destination for beachgoers in New Jersey. The beach stretches for nearly eight miles along the Atlantic Ocean and offers a family-friendly atmosphere. The boardwalk, which runs parallel to the beach, features a variety of shops, restaurants, and amusement parks, making it an ideal spot for families with kids. The beach is also known for its cleanliness and well-maintained facilities, including showers, changing rooms, and restrooms. Additionally, the beach has several designated areas for surfing, kayaking, and paddleboarding, making it a favorite spot for water sports enthusiasts. Overall, Ocean City Beach offers a fun and relaxed atmosphere, perfect for a day out with family and friends.
3. Wildwood Beach
Wildwood Beach is a popular beach destination located in Wildwood, New Jersey. The beach spans over five miles and is known for its wide, sandy shoreline and lively boardwalk. Wildwood Beach is also home to a variety of attractions, including amusement parks, water parks, and mini-golf courses. It is a family-friendly beach that offers activities for all ages, from sunbathing and swimming to surfing and boogie boarding. Additionally, the beach hosts various events and festivals throughout the year, making it a fun and exciting place to visit any time of the year.
4. Sandy Hook Beach
Sandy Hook Beach is a popular beach located on the northern tip of the New Jersey shore. It is part of the Gateway National Recreation Area and offers visitors a long stretch of white sand beaches and scenic views of the New York City skyline. The beach is known for its calm waters and family-friendly atmosphere, making it a great destination for swimming, sunbathing, and beach games. In addition to its natural beauty, Sandy Hook Beach also has a historic lighthouse and fort, as well as hiking trails and picnic areas.
5. Island Beach State Park
Island Beach State Park is a 10-mile-long barrier island that features a pristine coastline with crystal-clear waters. The beach is a natural wonderland and offers a variety of activities such as swimming, fishing, and sunbathing. Visitors can also hike or bike along the park’s scenic trails or explore the salt marshes and maritime forests. The park is home to various wildlife species, including foxes, deer, and ospreys. The park also features a nature center that provides educational programs and exhibits. Island Beach State Park is a perfect destination for families, couples, or anyone seeking a relaxing beach getaway.
6. Point Pleasant Beach
Point Pleasant Beach is a popular beach town located in Ocean County, New Jersey. The town boasts a long boardwalk, a variety of shops and restaurants, and a vibrant nightlife scene. The beach itself offers clean sand and water, making it a great spot for swimming, sunbathing, and fishing. Visitors can also enjoy surfing, kayaking, and paddleboarding on the waves. Point Pleasant Beach is a family-friendly destination with many activities and attractions for people of all ages.
7. Sea Girt Beach
Sea Girt Beach is a popular beach destination located in Monmouth County, New Jersey. It features a pristine shoreline with soft sand and gentle waves, making it ideal for swimming, sunbathing, and relaxing.
The beach is also known for its historic boardwalk, which offers beautiful views of the Atlantic Ocean and is perfect for a leisurely stroll. Visitors can enjoy a variety of recreational activities, including volleyball, surfing, and fishing.
Sea Girt Beach is family-friendly, with a designated children’s play area and ample space for picnics and barbecues. The beach also features public restrooms, showers, and changing rooms for added convenience.
Overall, Sea Girt Beach is a great choice for those looking for a peaceful and scenic beach experience in New Jersey.
8. Belmar Beach
Belmar Beach is a popular destination for both locals and tourists in New Jersey. This beach offers a wide stretch of white sand and clean water, perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and various water activities. The boardwalk offers a variety of dining options, ice cream shops, and arcade games for visitors to enjoy. The beach is also known for its surfing conditions and hosts annual surfing competitions. During the summer months, the beach also offers free concerts and movies on the beach. Overall, Belmar Beach is a great spot for families, surfers, and anyone looking to relax and enjoy the sun and sand.
9. Long Beach Island
Long Beach Island is a beautiful stretch of beaches and coastal communities that offers visitors a variety of attractions and activities. The island is located off the coast of New Jersey and is known for its white sand beaches, clear blue waters, and laid-back atmosphere.
Some popular beaches on Long Beach Island include:
- Beach Haven: This is one of the island’s largest and most popular beaches, with plenty of amenities, including restrooms, showers, and lifeguards. It’s a great spot for families, with a boardwalk that’s perfect for strolling.
- Surf City: This is a quieter, more secluded beach that’s perfect for those who want to escape the crowds. It’s a great spot for surfing, with some of the best waves on the island.
- Ship Bottom: This beach is known for its excellent fishing and crabbing, as well as its wide, sandy shore. It’s a popular spot for families, with plenty of space for games and picnics.
- Barnegat Light: This beach is located at the northern end of the island and is known for its iconic lighthouse. It’s a great spot for fishing and birdwatching, with plenty of wildlife to see.
Overall, Long Beach Island is a great destination for those looking for a relaxing beach vacation with plenty of outdoor activities and attractions to enjoy.
10. Asbury Park Beach
Asbury Park Beach is a popular beach located in Asbury Park, a vibrant city located in Monmouth County, New Jersey. The beach spans over a mile and features a boardwalk, clean white sand, and clear water. It is a great destination for families, surfers, and anyone looking to enjoy the beautiful beach and ocean. Asbury Park is also known for its vibrant music scene and rich history, making it a unique and interesting place to visit. Along the boardwalk, visitors can find various restaurants, bars, and shops, as well as attractions like the Asbury Park Convention Hall and the Paramount Theatre.
Beaches come in all shapes and sizes, and their features can vary depending on the location and environment. Here are some common features you might find at a beach:
- Sand: Most beaches are made up of sand, which can vary in color, texture, and coarseness depending on the location.
- Water: The most obvious feature of a beach is the water, whether it be the ocean, a lake, or a river.
- Waves: Waves are created by the wind and can vary in size and strength depending on the weather conditions.
- Tides: Tides are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and can impact the size and shape of the beach throughout the day.
- Seashells: Seashells can be found on many beaches and are often collected as souvenirs.
- Rock formations: Some beaches feature interesting rock formations, such as cliffs, caves, or arches.
- Wildlife: Many beaches are home to a variety of wildlife, such as birds, crabs, and fish.
- Beach grass: Some beaches feature grasses or other vegetation that help stabilize the sand and protect against erosion.
- Dunes: Dunes are natural barriers created by wind and sand and are often found on beaches.
- Beach amenities: Depending on the location, beaches may have amenities such as restrooms, showers, picnic areas, and lifeguards.
Some potential advantages of visiting a beach include:
- Relaxation: The sound of waves crashing, the feel of warm sand on your feet, and the salty ocean breeze can be incredibly soothing and can help you to relax and de-stress.
- Physical activity: Many beaches offer opportunities for physical activities such as swimming, surfing, kayaking, beach volleyball, and more. These activities can help you to stay active and burn calories while having fun in the sun.
- Vitamin D: Sunlight is a great source of vitamin D, which is important for bone health and other bodily functions. Spending time in the sun at the beach can help your body to produce vitamin D naturally.
- Connection with nature: Being in nature has been shown to have numerous benefits for mental health and well-being, and the beach is a great place to connect with nature. You can observe marine life, watch seabirds, and enjoy the natural beauty of the beach environment.
- Family time: The beach is a great place for families to spend time together, playing games, building sandcastles, and swimming. Many beaches also have playgrounds and other amenities for kids.
- Socialization: Beaches are often popular gathering places for locals and tourists alike, making them great places to meet new people and socialize. You may be able to join in on a game of beach volleyball or strike up a conversation with someone nearby.
- Scenery: Beaches often offer stunning views of the ocean and surrounding landscape, making them great places to take in the scenery and snap some photos.
It’s worth noting that the advantages of visiting a beach can vary depending on the specific beach and the activities and amenities it offers.
Some potential disadvantages of beaches include:
- Weather: The weather can be unpredictable, and sudden changes in temperature or storms can cause beach closures or make it unpleasant to be at the beach.
- Crowds: Popular beaches can become crowded, especially during peak season, making it difficult to find a spot to relax and enjoy the beach.
- Pollution: Pollution, such as litter or sewage, can make the beach unappealing or even unsafe for swimming.
- Cost: Some beaches charge fees for parking, entry, or other amenities, which can add up and make a day at the beach an expensive outing.
- Safety: While many beaches have lifeguards and warning systems in place, there are still risks associated with swimming in the ocean, such as rip currents or marine life hazards. It’s important to be aware of these risks and take necessary precautions to ensure safety while at the beach.
How to pick the best beaches in New Jersey?
Choosing the best beach in New Jersey depends on personal preferences and priorities. Here are some factors to consider:
- Location: Think about how far you’re willing to travel and whether you prefer a quiet or lively area.
- Amenities: Consider what amenities you want, such as restrooms, showers, food vendors, and rental equipment.
- Activities: Decide on the activities you plan to do, like swimming, surfing, fishing, or sunbathing.
- Accessibility: Think about whether you require wheelchair accessibility or have any mobility restrictions.
- Crowd size: Determine whether you want a more crowded or secluded beach experience.
- Safety: Check the beach’s safety record and any warnings or advisories from authorities.
- Reviews: Look up reviews and ratings from other beachgoers online to get an idea of the beach’s quality and atmosphere.
By considering these factors, you can find the best beach in New Jersey for your preferences and needs.
Attributes of a brilliant beach
Here are some attributes that are often associated with a brilliant beach:
- Cleanliness: A great beach should be clean, free of litter, and have clear water.
- Safety: Safety is essential when it comes to beaches. The beach should have proper lifeguard stations, clear water, and safety instructions.
- Scenery: A beautiful beach should have a great view, with picturesque surroundings and a serene environment.
- Amenities: Having facilities like restrooms, showers, changing rooms, food stands, and picnic areas nearby can make the beach experience more comfortable.
- Activities: A beach that offers a variety of activities such as surfing, paddleboarding, kayaking, snorkeling, or swimming can make for a more exciting beach day.
- Accessibility: A good beach should be easy to reach with ample parking spaces.
- Weather: The ideal beach should have warm weather, sunny skies, and a gentle breeze to ensure comfort while enjoying the beach.
- Crowd: A great beach should not be too crowded or too isolated. It should offer the perfect balance between seclusion and being social.
Considering these attributes can help in picking the best beach in New Jersey.
Best Beaches In New Jersey Are Here
The “Best Beaches in New Jersey” are the pinnacle of East Coast shoreline paradise. From Cape May to Sandy Hook, these beaches offer a unique blend of sun-soaked relaxation and charming seaside flair that simply can’t be found anywhere else. Sink your toes into the powdery sand of Wildwood Crest or take a refreshing dip in the crystal-clear waters at Island Beach State Park’s unspoiled stretches. When you’re not lounging on beach towels and soaking up rays, explore all that each destination has to offer – from grabbing classic boardwalk bites like funnel cakes and saltwater taffy to exploring historic landmarks like Barnegat Lighthouse atop its namesake peninsula. Whether you prefer lively crowds or serene solitude, the Best Beaches in New Jersey have something for everyone seeking respite along some of America’s most iconic coastline. Find out some list of beached in NJ;
- Cape May
- Ocean Grove
- Ocean City
- Sandy Hook
- The Wildwoods
- Seaside Heights
- Brigantine Beach
- Long Beach Island
- Point Pleasant Beach
- Seaside Park
- Spring Lake
- Sea Isle City
Even though New Jersey isn’t likely to come to mind when planning a beach trip, residents are aware that the Garden State is home to some of the East Coast’s top beaches. The majority of New Jersey’s sandy beaches are covered in vibrant boardwalks, many of which were refurbished or built following Hurricane Sandy in 2012. These boardwalks have a variety of restaurants, stores, arcades, ice cream parlours, and other attractions.